Planet Aid: A Partner for Cleaner, More Environmentally Friendly Communities
For over a quarter century, Planet Aid has played a crucial role in transforming U.S. communities into cleaner and more environmentally friendly places. By repurposing used clothes and shoes, as well as combatting illegal dumping, we have successfully helped communities reduce landfill waste and minimize their environmental footprint. As more communities seek sustainable solutions, Planet Aid emerges as a reliable ally in their journey towards a greener future.
Diverting Millions of Pounds from Landfills
With our signature yellow bins and innovative solar-powered donation centers, Planet Aid enables communities to divert tens of millions of pounds of used clothing and footwear away from landfills annually. This second life for discarded apparel significantly contributes to the global secondhand industry, valued at an estimated $177 billion in 2022. Moreover, this industry sustains millions of livelihoods, including individuals involved in sorting, transporting, and reselling these items. The impact is twofold: reducing the necessity to manufacture new clothes, which consumes precious resources like water and generates harmful pollutants.
Responsible and Permitted Operations
Planet Aid takes pride in conducting all operations within legal and ethical boundaries. Our bins are equipped with permits granted by cities and municipalities, signifying our commitment to comply with local regulations. To ensure smooth operations, each donation site is assigned a dedicated staff member responsible for regular collections and maintaining site cleanliness. Additionally, we address any issues promptly, including the unfortunate occurrence of illegal dumping. Our goal is to resolve such matters within 24 hours, but we often achieve even quicker resolutions.
“Planet Aid is an excellent company to work with,” says Michael Lee who hosts a bin at Lickity Splitz in Massachusetts. “They are very attentive to the cleanliness of the bins and the area around the bins.”
Combating Illegal Dumping
Planet Aid actively cleans up illegal dumping at no cost to the community. Since 2019, we’ve collected and responsibly disposed of nearly 42 million pounds of illegally dumped waste. We spent roughly $3 million to properly dispose this trash, a reflection of our dedication to protecting the environment and local communities from the costs and harmful effects of illegal waste disposal.
Meeting the Need for Sustainable Solutions
Recycling and reusing textiles is an important part of creating a sustainable waste stream.
Bryce E. Wilson, Jr., Board of Health Agent, Bellingham, MA
With recent legislative changes like the textile disposal ban in Massachusetts, communities must embrace viable alternatives to landfill dumping. Planet Aid stands ready to be a valuable partner in these transformative times. The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection reports that residents and businesses dispose of approximately 230,000 tons of textiles each year, with 85 percent typically ending up in landfills. Our initiatives offer an effective solution to divert this waste, contributing to a more sustainable future.
“Hosting Planet Aid clothes collection bins throughout our town has been very convenient for our residents,” says Bruce E. Wilson Jr., a Board of Health Agent in Bellingham, MA. “Recycling and reusing textiles is an important part of creating a sustainable waste stream.”
What Sets Planet Aid Apart
Not all clothing and shoe recycling services are created equal. Planet Aid stands out from the rest for several compelling reasons:
- Longevity and Reputation: With over 25 years of experience, Planet Aid has established a reputation for reliability and sustainability. While other organizations may come and go, our commitment remains unwavering.
- Superior Service: Each of our donation sites benefits from the presence of dedicated Planet Aid staff members who ensure regular collections, maintain cleanliness, and promptly address any concerns raised by site hosts.
- Non-Profit Commitment: As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, Planet Aid utilizes the net revenue generated from selling used clothing to fund community development programs both within the U.S. and across the globe. Unlike for-profit organizations that retain profits, our focus remains firmly on giving back to the communities we serve.
Planet Aid's dedication to creating cleaner, more environmentally friendly communities has proven instrumental for over 25 years. Through our commitment to responsible recycling, combatting illegal dumping, and sustainable practices, we have positioned ourselves as a reliable ally for communities seeking greener solutions. Together, we can pave the way towards a brighter and more sustainable future for generations to come.
Planet Aid Facts
We support thousands of businesses and organizations achieve environmental sustainability and social responsibility goals
- We partner with 75+ local governments and municipalities
- We’ve raised more than $65 million to support communities in the U.S. and abroad
- We’ve collected 1.7 billion pounds of clothes and shoes, reducing landfill waste
- We operate our own fleet of 80+ trucks to service donation bins
- We do all the work, from supplying and setting up the bins to servicing, cleaning and insuring them